Friday, March 23, 2012

Statistics, Economics & Non-Monogamy - Revisited

I thought it appropriate to give another look at an earlier post I made regarding statistical assessment, economics, and how they can be used as tools to asses non-monogamy. I'm taking Macroeconomics now, and getting a broader-scale picture on economic forces, and I'm coming up with new questions. Some of those are touched on in my review of Infidelity & GDP, but this will be more focused.

  1. What will be the macro-level economic impacts in shifting existing family laws/policies, social services, education, discrimination laws, and so on, to be inclusive of non-monogamy?
  2. In bringing non-monogamy forward as an acceptable practice to society, it makes sense that the number of practicing non-monogamists would increase. How broad of a cultural shift would this be, what differing consumption/savings patterns do non-monogamists have compared to monogamists, and what would be the net impact on GDP?
  3. Though I don't like the Infidelity & GDP paper, it did bring to mind one question that has been stewing in the back of my mind for awhile: Is there a way to measure the impact of transitory partners in poly families? This isn't like monogamous transitions, which consists of the serial monogamy 'break-up-and-re-marry', since it's entirely possible for a partner to transition out of a relationship and the relationship is still standing, AND it's possible for a partner to transition in a relationship. What's an economic perspective, both macro and micro, on these transitions?
Just a few notes for future research. I'm sure I'll dig into this at another time.

Cheers!

- Jason



2 comments:

  1. Hi there Jason! Do you happen to have any scholarly references for stats on nonmonogamous dynamics that you could share with me; I am in the midst of doing a brief lit review on the subject of alternatives to monogamy, in preparation for a conference presentation in April of this year. I keep running into overly specific studies (i.e. stats on "nonmonogamous behaviors of gay male couples") and am currently in search of more generalistic info regarding demographics as well as the question of "why" people choose to challenge the "norm" of monogamy. While I have a good deal of personal insight, unfortunately, I need to access the "big guns" in order to validate academically for the purpose I have in mind. :) It seems as though you have a good handle on this topic & I would truly appreciate any input or info you could share. Thank you!
    ~ Pebble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pebble, So sorry for taking this long to get back to you! Midterms... blarg...

      For your question, sadly there's very little data out there. Most of what you'll be able to find is in the 2012 Loving More survey (http://www.lovemore.com/polyamory-articles/2012-lovingmore-polyamory-survey/).

      Best of luck!

      Delete